skip navigation

NYSA U7-U19 Fall Rec Season Cancellation

By Bryan O’Donnell, 10/13/20, 11:00AM PDT


NYSA Coaches, Families, and Players,

The NYSA Board of Directors hopes that you and your families are able to stay safe during this time.

On September 8th, Washington Youth Soccer and several other youth sports organizations sent a return to play policy to Governor Jay Inslee that would allow for outdoor recreation, including youth sports, to move forward into a modified Phase 2.  Since this proposal was made, other organizations and health officials joined together to put into place a science based plan that would allow for our youth to get back on the field.  While we have waited for the Governor to make a final decision, our soccer and office staff have been hard at work staying in contact with field vendors, updating schedules, and preparing for the start of a fall season.  

On Tuesday October 6th Governor Jay Inslee officially announced several Covid related expansions, including youth sports.  Later that evening, the NYSA Board of Directors met for several hours and looked over all the information in front of us.  The topics we discussed included player safety, protocols for arriving at fields, sanitation, and field availability (NYSA does not own any fields, rather we rely on local cities, counties, and school districts to provide us access to dirt, grass, and turf fields).  As the conversation progressed, we were able to find many solutions and protocols we could put into place that would allow for safe participation for our local soccer players.  Our biggest obstacle we had to overcome was how we could provide a safe program, that we all would be proud of, with our strong reliance on grass fields that often close by the end of October.  As much as we sought out solutions, we constantly ran into the large problem of a lack of field space.  With a sad and disappointed heart, the NYSA Board of Directors, wants to reach out to you to let you know that the upcoming U7-U19 Fall Recreational Season has been cancelled.  This decision was not made easily as everyone was looking forward to getting the season going and bringing back a little bit of normalcy to the lives of the youth in our area.  Had the decision from Governor Inlsee come a couple of weeks ago, the timing would have worked for us to continue, but the traditional Fall Season is impossible as of today.

Although we will not be able to have a traditional formal fall season, the NYSA Board and our staff are committed to and have all expressed their dedication to get some soccer activity and events in place for our soccer players.  These possible activities include skills training led by our professional staff to a winter season running the months of November to December.  As of now, all options are on the table and we plan on having a plan in place in the next week.  How much we are able to do will depend on the availability of school district turf fields, which are not currently open for community use.

With regard to the 2020 Fall Registration fees that were already paid, we are working on a plan that will allow families to roll over the payment into one of the other options we are offering, request of a partial refund (the remaining would go as a donation to a registered 501(c)3, or request for a refund in full.  More information on this should be out by the end of next week as we work through the perimeters of our new website.  

We miss our NYSA families and players terribly, but look forward to seeing you all in the near future.  Please stay safe, stay healthy, and stay positive knowing that we will be back!

Bryan O’Donnell
Northshore Youth Soccer Association