Hello NYSA Families;
On September 8, 2020, Washington Youth Soccer, along with several local sports groups from Snohomish County to Spokane, including reps from soccer to lacrosse to little league baseball, sent a request to Governor Inslee and his team asking that Washington move outdoor recreation to Phase 3. Unfortunately, the fires and smoke moved into Washington and put the proposal on hold while the state worked to put out fires and find resources for those impacted by the health risks from the smoke in the air. After a 10 day delay the group was able to meet with one of Inslee's reps to discuss the possibility of moving the proposal forward.
The meeting did have some positive outcomes as they agreed to formalize a process that could provide for a safe return to play for multiple sports, including soccer. If we are able to take the field, you can expect to see several rule changes for everything from spectators, to players, to on field rule changes that will help make the game day experience safer for everyone. A couple that you can expect to see include one parent on the sidelines per minor player, all spectators will be required to wear a mask and socially distance, no tenets on the sidelines, and no corner kicks.
We are hoping to hear back from WYS this week about the status of the proposal. If the proposal is approved we plan on starting the rec season for U6-U12 with games on October 10/11. At this point D2 (U13+ rec teams), NPSL (select teams), and RCL (premier teams) also plan on moving forward with games if given the go ahead. Practices for rec level teams will depend on the availability of Northshore School District Fields. However, if the proposal is not approved by this weekend the NYSA Board will make a final decision on the viability of a fall recreational season.
Thank you for your continued support of NYSA and we hope to have some good news about a safe path forward in the combining days.